ARTICLE: THE: USES Of ARTICLE THE: REPETITION OF ARTICLES: OMISSION OF ARTICLES
The Topic of Articles come under three parts:-
I. The Correct usage of Article s a. Indefinite Articles ( a & an ) b. Definite Article ( The )
The is used with: Singular & Plural both:-
- I visited the Red Fort yesterday.
- The mangoes I bought today, were really delicious.
Learn with video
- When I was roaming in the garden. I plucked a beautiful flower.
- This is the flower I plucked from the garden. (pointing out referred already)
- When I was going to market a boy asked me about you.
- This is the boy who was asking about you. (pointing out referred already)
2. With all the Celestial /Universal / Unique things
- The earth
- The moon
- The stars
- The oceans
The sun revolves around the earth.
The ocean looks beautiful at the midnight.
3. Before the parts of the days
- The morning
- The evening
- The noon
- The noon shines with the purple rays of the sun.
I’ll return in the evening.
4. With Modern unique things
a. Thousands of students today are having their online classes through the internet.
b. We have arranged a lot of amount for pandemic victims through crowdfunding.
5.. With government/government bodies
(Army /police / navy)
- Takes THE when they are talked as an institute
- The police are performing their duties perfectly well.
- The navy sailed to the north for the next destination.
- I have served in the army for four years.
But we use (a/an) when referring to their characteristics
India has a strong army.
A weak army can be the basic reason for the defeat of any country.
6. Before all the geographical areas/bodies
a. Before the mountain ranges
- The Himalayas,
- The Alps
But never use articles before their peaks.
- Mount Everest, Mount Olympus.
b. The names of rivers, seas, deserts
- The Taj is situated on the bank of the Yamuna.
- London is situated on the bank of the Thames.
- The Arctic Ocean touches the continents of North America, Europe, and Asia
- The Gobi Desert is called ‘ beast of the desert.
c. Before the names of states /countries when different entities are grouped together
The United States of America (the group of states)
The Punjab ( a place of five rivers)
7. When we take Singular Common Noun as a whole class
- The dog is a faithful animal.
- The cow lives on grass.
- The peacock dances gracefully.
8. Before the name of surnames:
- The Sharmas
- The varmas
9. With Proper nouns in some cases
a. When Proper noun is used as a TITLE
- Alexander the great
- The great Ashoka
- Akbar the great
b. When Proper Noun takes the Plural form
- India needs the Bhagat Sings, The Veer Savarkars, the Azads, and the Laxmibais again to make it free from corruption.
c. When Proper Nouns are talked as if Common Noun( adjective of a noun.)
- Kashmir is called the Switzerland of India
- Kalidas is called the Shakespeare of India
10. Before the name of all the religious books
- The Bhagwat Gita, The Quaran Shariff,
11. When the Adjective is talked as if Noun of Multitude
- The rich should help the poor.
- The brave must always protect the weak.
12. Before the double Comparative Degree
- The more you eat the more you will grow fat.
- The higher you go the cooler you will feel.
But not before the single comparative degrees.
- The lotus is more beautiful than the rose.
13. Before the Superlative degrees
- The lotus is the most beautiful among all the flowers.
- Abhishek is the naughtiest boy in the class.
14. Before the names of Newspapers.
- The Times of India
- The Hindustan Times
15. Before the names of all the trains, airplanes, and ships
- The Indian Express
- The Victory
- The Indan Airlines
16. ALWAYS USE ARTICLE AFTER ‘ ALL ‘ AND ‘BOTH’
- All the boys in this class are naughty.
- Both the flowers are very sweet.
1.When two or more than two Adjectives qualify one single Noun
I saw a red and white flower in my garden today. (one flower)
The blue and white wallet in your hand is mine. ( one wallet )
When different Adjectives qualify different Nouns,
we use articles before every Adjective-
I saw a red and a white flower in my garden today. ( two flowers)
The blue and the white wallets in your hand are mines. ( Two wallets)
The blue and the white wallet in your hand are mine. ( Two wallets)
Exception:- If a Noun is in plural form, we must not repeat Articles
The first and second chapters are interesting.
( The first and the second chapter are interesting )
The French and English left the field.
NOTE: HERE THE FRENCH AND THE ENGLISH ARE TALKED AS COLLECTIVE NOUN TOGETHER THAT IS WHY THE SENTENCE TOOK ‘THE’ ONLY BEFORE FIRST NOUN ‘ THE FRENCH’.
IF WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THE DWELLERS OF FRANCE AND ENGLAND SEPARATELY, WE ‘LL USE ARTICLE THE SEPARATELY BEFORE FRENCH AND ENGLISH
The French defeated the English.
Remember when we use the before the name of any language, we never use THE but when we are talking about the dwellers of any country, we’ll use THE.
2. When two different Nouns belong to one single person or thing, we use the article only before the first noun:-
The director and principal of the school welcomed the chief guest at the Annual Function. (one person)
3. When two different Nouns belong to different persons or things, we use an article before every noun:-
The director and the principal of the school welcomed the chief guest at the Annual Function.
The CEO and the manager have arrived. Now the meeting is going to arrive soon.
III. OMISSION OF ARTICLES
1. NEVER USE ARTICLES BEFORE A PROPER NOUN
- I am going to Kolkata. ( right)
- I am going to THE Kolkata. ( wrong )
- Is your name Priyanshu? (right)
- Are you the PRIYANSHU? (wrong)
2. NEVER USE ARTICLE BEFORE A MATERIAL NOUN
- Gold is a precious metal. (right)
- The gold is a precious metal. ( wrong.)
- The crops of wheat have been spoiled this year. (right)
- The crops of the wheat have been spoiled this year. (right)
BUT NOT BEFORE THE ARTICLES OF SOME MATERIALS
- I have A gold ring ( right)
- I have gold ring. (wrong)
- You will be hit hard with AN iron rod. (right)
- You will be hit hard with iron rod. ( wrong)
You will be hit hard with an iron rod. ( wrong )
3. NEVER USE ARTICLES BEFORE THE NAMES OF COLOURS
Blue is my favourite colour. ( right)
THE blue Is my favourite colour. ( wrong)
BUT IF COLOUR NAME IS ADDED WITH ANY OBJECT,
WE’LL USE ARTICLE
I have A black shirt. (right)
I have black shirt. ( wrong)
4. NEVER USE ARTICLES BEFORE AN ABSTRACT NOUN.
Honesty is the best policy.
THE honest is the best policy.( wrong)
5. NEVER USE ARTICLES BEFORE THE NAMES OF GAMES
I like to play chess. ( right)
I like to play THE chess.
6. NEVER USE ARTICLES BEFORE THE NAMES OF SUBJECTS
I like Physics. ( right)
I like THE PHYSICS.
7. NEVER USE ARTICLES BEFORE REGULAR MEALS
( LUNCH, BREAKFAST, DINER)
Have you had your dinner? ( right)
Have you had your THE dinner?
BUT USE ARTICLE IF WE HAVE AN ADJECTIVE BEFORE THESE NOUNS
Last Sunday, I had A nice breakfast at this hotel. ( right)
Last Sunday, I had nice breakfast at this hotel. (WRONG)
8. NEVER USE ARTICLES BEFORE ANY EDIBLES
I had rice for dinner last night. ( right)
I had THE rice in my dinner. ( wrong)
9. NEVER USE ARTICLE BEFORE
GOD , HEAVEN ,HELL
God is in Heaven .(right)
The God is the Heaven. ( wrong )
Satan lived in Hell. ( right)
Satan lived in the Hell. ( wrong)
NOTE : Always start the spellings of God ,Heaven , Hell. with capital letter only.
10. NEVER USE ARTICLE AFTER
Effect, Appoint, Crown, and Make,
Nitin was made the monitor of the class. ( wrong)
Nitin was made monitor of the class. (right)
He was crowned king.
He was crowned the king.
After Half, we always use article – A’ & An’
I will return after half an hour.
I would like to have only a half piece of Chocolate cake.
After Such, we always use the article ‘a’ or ‘an’
I have never seen such an intelligent girl.
I have never seen such a boy. ( you are a typical boy to be understood.)
After So, we always use the article ‘a’ or ‘an’
I had no sleep in so cold a night.
India is facing so brutal an army.
With the phrases ‘kind of’ and sort of ‘ we never use ARTICLES
What kind of a person you are! (wrong)
What kind of person you are ! (right)
What sort of joke it is! ( right)
What sort of a joke it is! ( wrong )
If you wish to practice, practice from the link given below…
2 thoughts on “ARTICLE: THE: USES OF THE: DETERMINER THE: REPETITION OF ARTICLES: OMISSION OF ARTICLES”
I got 10/10 .
Ohh..Yiu mean Superhero