I am Present Perfect Tense. I’m perfect still people don’t find me perfect. Why so? Though I am a very easy tense to understand but confusing at the same time. People often mess up me with Past Indefinite Tense.
That’s why they often get confused. If you observe smartly, you can catch me very easily.
I help you in the following ways:-
- I ( Present Perfect ) work as creating a link between the present and the recent past expressions.
- I ( Present Perfect ) help you in framing your statements when your action has been finished in
the recent past ( just before sometime) but still is leaving an impact in present.
Understand me with some examples:-
- I have just finished my work. ( Maybe you are still compiling your work up. )
- Nisha has already seen this movie. ( Though the movie has been seen in the past he story is still fresh in her memories in the present so she need not watch atleast for some time )
- Ravi, let’s go to have a cup of coffee If you have completed your project.
( Ravi’s present action depends on his recent past completed action.)
Thus you can define me in the following way:-
“Present Perfect Tense creates a kind of link between the present and the past, the
time of action is recent past and is still leaving an impact somewhere till now.”
kEY FEATURES OF PRESENT PERFECT TENSE/
HOW TO RECOGNIZE PRESETNPERFECT TENSE
- When you observe has/have+V3
- The action has been finished in recent past ( just before sometime )
9he principal has extended the date to pay the fee.
( So we can pay the fee even now without a fine).
- I have finally got my CA degree.
( Now I can apply for a good job).
You can recognize me with the following adverbs:-
( Just, recently, already, yet, till, now finally )
2. Finished actions ( Life Experiences)
Do you wish to share any of your life experiences? Need not worry. I am here to help you. Read these examples carefully:-anc
- I have never been to Lucknow.
- As a hunter, Ali has hunted many animals.
(Now, he is not willing to kill any .)
- I have always been with Diya in her problems
( but she is always ungrateful. )
3. With unfinished time words
When you have to use the following time words in your statements,
(This month, this week, today, till now yet )
You can be comfortable with me in framing your statement
- I visited Delhi this month.
- Do you know, she has taken 4 cups of coffee till now?
- I have sent her a letter but she hasn’t replied yet.
Last one :-
4. Action finished in the recent past (just completed)
still leaving an impact.
This one has already been explained through definition.
- I have just finished my work.
- Have you not finished your homework till now?
- You have recently visited Kanpur. Why are you going again ?
STRUCTURE OF PRESENT PERFECT AFFIRMATIVE
Subject + has/ have+ V3+ Object
Subject – Singular- Has
Plural – Have
Ist Person ( Singular ( I ) – Have
- I have finished my coffee already.
- Sheena has wasted her time enough.
- These boys have spoiled my hard labour of the whole of the week.
STRUCTURE OF PRESENT PERFECT NEGATIVE
Subject + has/ have+ not/never + V3+ Object
- She has not broken my heart.
- Ruchi has never told me lies.
- The boys have not played on this ground.
STRUCTURE OF PRESENT PERFECT INTERROGATIVE
Structure of Present Perfect Interrogative – Type 1
Has/have+ Subject+ V3 + Object
- Have you ever been to Paris?
- Have both of you visited Kanpur ever?
- Has Kriti admitted her mistake ?
Structure of Present Perfect Interrogative type 2
‘ Wh ‘ family word+ has/have+ Subject+ V3 + object
- Why have you not completed your work till now?
- When has Antima arrived?
- Where have all of you seen the snake ?
Structure of Present Perfect Interrogative type 3
How much/ How many + related noun +has/have + Subject+ V3 +Object
- How much money have you spent on your I phone?
- How many apples have you eaten?
Structure of Present Perfect Interrogative Negative
( only keep NOT after the subject.)
—— remaining structure will be same as all types of Interrogatives
- Have you not finished your mango till now?
- Why have you not taken your lunch today?
- How much money have you not spent on your I phone?
Write your 10 recent actions .