TABLE OF CONTENT
Different uses of Present Indefinite Tense,
The Chapter is going to be useful in –
Sentence Transformation, ,
Spoken English + Formal Writing.
Definition of Present Indefinite Tense-
The tense -used to refer to an ‘ event’, ‘ action ‘ or ‘ condition ‘ that exists all the time or for a short period without the confirmation of its completion, is called Present Indefinite Tense.
How to recognize in English-
Affirmative- The sentence has root form (base form) of the verb without an auxiliary verb.
- Ravita rides on the roundabouts daily.
- Nishtha walks on by the beach daily..
The sentence has the root form of the verb with do/does.
- Gaurav does not go to the gym to exercise.
- Do you read a new storybook every day?
We use Present Indefinite Tense in the following conditions-
1. With Daily Routine Sentences-
- I awake at 5 A.M daily.
- Mona does mediation every day.
- We go for a walk after having our dinner daily.
2. With Habitual Sentence-
To show present habits, we use Present Indefinite Tense
- I use to have a cup of tea twice a day.
- Children like to have junk food most.
But it is not good for their health.
3. Future Time Table/ Schedule-
Sometimes for showing future fixed timetables also,
we take the help of Present Indefinite. In such cases,
don’t get confused, the sentence is correct.
- The school reopens on 27th June 2022.
- We fly to Kathmandu next week.
- The function starts sharp at 8 P.M on 1st July 2018.
4. With Universal Truth/Facts
- You hide the flower but its fragrance.
- Light travels faster than the wind.
That’s why in Reported Speech also , the tense of the sentence is never changed
- The teacher said that The sun rises in the east. ( Universal Truth)
- My friend said that Time passes very quickly. ( Fact)
- Present Short Action- ( They show our temporary habits)
- Look! How actively he is playing. He takes the ball so
quickly and scores the goal.
- While giving Instructions
- Give me your copy right now.
- Don’t waste your time.
- News Headlines-
Most of the time headlines are written in Present Indefinite Tense.
- Maharashtra health minister resigns.
- Grenade attack injures 9 CRPF.
- With the Present Positions-
- Eshank works in TCS now.
- He studies in class 10th
Structure of Present Indefinite Tense-
Subject+ V1+ Object.
SingularSubject – V1+ s/es/ies
Plural / 1st PersonSingular Subject ( I ) – V1st form only.
Ritu sings a song.
- I complete my work on time.
- He frequently visits my home.
- You waste your time a lot.
Negative Sentences are divided into two types:-
Type 1: The sentence that is formed by adding a simple ‘ not’
Type 2: The sentence that is formed by adding ‘ never’
So the formation of both the sentences is different.
Type 1: With ‘ not’
Subject+ do not / does not + V1st form + Object.
Subject: Singular- does not
Subject: Plural/ Singular Ist Person ( I ) – do not
- Jaishree does not like lies a little bit.
- These boys do not obey anyone.
- You do not come on time.
Type2: With ”never’
Subject+ never + V1st form +s/es/ies+ object.
Remember: In this condition,’ Verb ‘ will not be affected by any subject
because it has no helping verb. So the formation will go the same as Affirmative Sentence.
- He never tells a lie
- You never come to meet me.
- I never pay heed over trifles.
- Ragini never overcomes her pains soon.
Structure of Interrogative Sentence-
Do/ does + Subject +V1st form + object
Plural/I – do
- Do you play cricket daily?
- Does Gauri design websites?
Interrogative type -2
W family word + do/ does + Subject + verb+ object.
- When does Akasha go for a walk?
- Why do these boys waste their time?
How much/ how many/ which/whose+ related noun + do/ does + Subject+ object.
- How many books do you have in your bag?
- How much water do you have daily?
Interrogative Negative Sentence-
The fromation of all the Interrogative Negatives are the same. Only NOT IS PLACED AFTER THE SUBJECT
—–do/does+Subject+ Not ——
Does he not do you work?
Why do you not do your work?
How many flowers does he not pluck from the garden?
Practice sentence for spoken English-
Follow the structure and write down the sentence and practice them.
Daily routine- I wake up 5 P.M
Good habits- I play cricket daily.
Bad Habits- I don’t like play cricket.
Ask questions- do you like coffee?
Remaining Part will be published tomorrow
Tap below to learn all the lessons of :-