PAST INDEFINTE : CHAPTER 7
TABLE OF CONTENT
Different uses of Present Indefinite Tense
CONVERSATION AND QUIZ
This Chapter of Past Indefinite Tense is going to be useful in –
- Sentence Recording
- Sentence Transformation
- Gap filling
- Story Writing
- Spoken English + Formal Writing
Recognitions of Past Indefinite Tense
Key Features of Past Indefinite Tense
The sentence has the Past form of the verb without a helping verb-
- Ankush flew to London last Friday.
- Ridhim returned home soon.
The sentence has the root form of the verb with ‘did’
- Ankush flew to London last Friday.
- Did you notice her changing behavior?
- Gaurav did not go to the gym yesterday.
Adverbs to Recognize Past Indefinite or Simple Past Tense
Yesterday, last day, last night, last week, etc
We use Past Indefinite Tense in the following conditions-
- Frequent Actions of the Past time :-
- During my school days, I ate many mangoes from my school garden.
- During my summer vacations, We often visited Ujjain at my maternal uncle’s home.
- When the sentence shows the past habits
- I used to go to school by my bicycle in grade 10th.
- During recess, Urvashi and I always used to have our lunch together.
- Pair with Past Perfect Tense
Past Indefinite helps to complete the clause of Past Perfect
- I had bought two vases before I saw these bronze vases.
- Booker T. Washington started his education when he had earned enough money.
4. Pair with Past Continuous Tense
When any of our actions in Past Continuous Tense
is Interrupted by a sudden new action
- When I was enjoying my coffee in my garden, It suddenly began raining.
- When the students were studying with full concentration,the entrance of a beautiful butterfly disturbed their focus.
5. With News Headlines-
Most of the time headlines are written in Past and Present Indefinite Tenses
- Two buses collided on the Rudyard Crossing.
- The meeting was held in the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
(The meeting was held in the Rashtrapati Bhawan )
( While here Grammatically the sentences must be in Passive Voice-)
Two buses were collied on the Rudyard Crossing
The meeting was held in the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
6. With the II Type of Conditional Sentences
( IF +Past Indefinite + Future Past Indefinite )
- IF you informed me, I would also go to the movie with you.
- IF Dushyant arrived by time, I wouldn’t be late
7. With Hypothetical/Imaginative sentences-
- If I flew, I would also chase the gust of wind.
- If I were a queen, I would make my kingdom happy.
Subject+ V2+ Object.
- It rained heavily yesterday.
- Arujun accepted his mistakes.
Negative Sentences are divided into two types:-
Type 1: The sentence that is formed by adding a simple ‘ not’
Type 2: The sentence that is formed by adding ‘ never’
So the formation of both the sentences is different.
Type 1: With ‘ not’
Subject+ did not + V1+ Object.
- Shivani did not believe me.
- These boys did me once in the garden.
- You didnot come on time.
Type2: With ”never’
Subject+ never + V1 + object.
Remember: In this condition,’ Verb ‘ will not be affected by any subject
because it has no helping verb. So the formation will go the same as Affirmative Sentence.
- He never hid any truth from me.
- You never asked help from anybody.
- I never paid heed over trifles.
Structure of Interrogative Sentence-
Did + Subject +V1 + object
- Did you practice cricket daily last year ?
- Did Gauri design your website ?
Interrogative type -2
‘Wh’ family word + did + Subject + verb+ object
- When did Akasha go for a walk?
- Why did you tell your secrets to these girls ?
How much/ how many/ which/whose+ related noun + did + Subject+ object
- How many books did you have in your bag at that time ?
- How much money did you submit for the picnic ?
Interrogative Negative Sentence-
The formation of all the Interrogative Negatives are the same. Only NOT IS PLACED AFTER THE SUBJECT
—-did + Subject + Not ——
Did he not do you work?
Why did you not do your work?
How many flowers did he not pluck from the garden?
Practice sentence for spoken English-
Follow the structure and write down the sentence and practice them.
Descbribe your scool picnic.
Tell a story
Bad Habits- I don’t like play cricket.
Ask questions and answer yourselves
Ex- did you like coffee?
Yes, I liked.