Basic points to ponder:-
KINDS OF INTERROGATIVE
As we know ,there are two kinds of Interrogative sentences:-
Type 1 – That start with Auxiliary Verb
Type 2 – That start with ‘ Wh family’ words
Type 2 is again sub divided in 2 parts
Type 2a. question words starting with Wh family words
Type 2b. question word starting with ‘How’ ( How much/How many )
Basic Rules of Changing
HOW TO CHANGE AUXILIARY VERB
( If beginning with helping / auxiliary verb)
a. Said/ said to is changed in ASKED / ENQUIRED OF
( Said to – asked/ enquired of )
NOTE: Some times asked / enquired of is already given
in Reporting Verbs So don’t get confused , they will remain same.
b. Commas / Inverted Commas are converted into if / whether
Comma / Inverted Comma (, ” “ )- if/whether
c. Interrogative sentences are changed into Assertive Sentences
Interrogative sentence -Assertive Sentence
i) Interrogative – Positive
ii) Interrogative Negative – Simple Negative
d. Question Mark ( ?)will be chamged into full stop ( .)
(? )- (. )
Direct : Ananya said to me , “ Does Shweta like chocolate ?”
Ananya asked me if Shweta liked chocolate.
Direct : Rama said to Roshni , “ Do you not like coffee ?”
Rama enquired of Roshni if she did not like coffee.
Direct : Nisha said to Neha, “Did Avni return your book ?”
Nisha asked Neha if Avni had returned her book.
a.)( Interrogative starting with helping Verbs)
- Ankush said to me , “Can you spare some time for me?”
- I said to Nisha , “ Are you not feeling well here”
- You said to Arunima, “ Will you lend me your pen?
- Sheetal said to Akshat, “ Did you meet Akash yesterday ?”
- Anshuman said to Pratibha, “ Had you seen this movie before ?”
- Aditi said , “ Didn’t you look into the matter deeply?”
- She said to Sumya,” May I use your pen for some time?
- Nishi said to Rachna, “ Won’t you like to have a cup of coffee with me?
- Divya said to Shivam, “ Did Naman come to meet you yesterday ?”
- Raunak said to Abhishek, “ Have you seen Sagar anywhere ?”
How to change ‘WH FAMILY WORDS’
Basic points to ponder( If Reported :Speech starts with ‘ Wh family’ words-
Type 2a. ( Wh family words)
a. Said to – asked/ enquired of
b. Comma / Inverted Comma (, ” “ ) ——- No change
‘Whfamily’ words are conjunctions in themselves ( So no extra conjunction )
c. Interrogative Sentences are changed into Assertive sentences
(Interrogative – Assertive)
Interrogative – Positive
Interrogative Negative – Simple Negative
d. Question mark will be replced with full stop.
[(•(?) – ( .)]
Direct : Kajal said to Silky , “ Why does Anshu waste her time?”
Kajal asked Silky why Anshu wasted her time.
Direct : Stuti said to Sneha , “ Why did you not join the party with me today ?”
Stuti enquired of Sneha why she had not joined the party with her that day.
Direct : Akriti said to Riya,” When will Anushka come?”
Akriti asked Riya when Anushka would come.
Basic points to ponder:-
HOW TO CHANGE HOW MUCH HOW MANY
If question words start with ( How Much/ How many)
a. Said to -asked/ enquired of •
b. Comma/Inverted commas ” “ ——- No Connector
The question word HOW is a conjunction in itself ( So no extra conjunction is needed)
So How much and How many are never replaced
c. An Interrogative Sentence is changed into Assertive sentence-
Interrogative sentence —- Assertive Sentence
Interrogative – Positive
Interrogative Negative – Simple Negative •(?) ( .)
Direct : Saurabh said to Shivansh , “ How many apples would you like to have ?.”
Saurabh asked Shivansh how many apples he would like to have.
Direct : Shubham said to Tejas , “ Why did you not join the party with me today ?”
Shubham enquired of Tejas why he had not joined the party with him that day.
Type 2 & 3
(Interrogative starting with Whfamily Words)
- Babita said, “ When are you going to meet me ?
- Sneha said to Pakhi , “ Why are you so worried ?
- Bhumi said to Anku, “ How many pencils did she buy last week?”
- Priyanshu said to Kesri , “ Why are you teasing your friend?”
- Kainat said to Saloni , “ Why hadn’t you complete your work till now ?”
- “ Where is my mobile ?” said Nidhi to Khushi .
- Abhishek said to Rahul, “ Whose book was Ayush asking for ?”
- Manas said to Rahim, “ Which watch are you asking for?”
- “ How are you ?” asked Riya .
- Ridhim said to Ridhima, “ How have you done so the toughest task ?”
Exercise : Choose the correct option
- The lady said to the girl,” Do you live in this house?”
The lady asked the girl______
a. that I lived in that house
b. if I lived in that house.
c. if she lived in that house.
2. ” What is this tool for ?” said the girl to her sister.
The girl_____ her sister ________
a. asked- what that tool was made for.
b. asked – what was that toll made for.
c. told that what that tool was made for.
3. Ram said to his friend, ” Can you tell me the way to the bus stop ?
Ram ____ his friend_____
a. said – could hetell him the way to the bust stop ?
b. enquired of -if he could tell him the way to the bus stop.
c. asked – if could he tell him the way to the bus stop.
4. The teaher said to Mohit, “Would you like to go on a trip ?”
The teacher enquired of Mohit____
a. if he would like to go on a trip.
b. that he would like to go on a trip
c. would he like to go on a trip
Answer : a
5. ” Where is your umbrella ?” asked Mohit from his sister.
Mohit asked his sister _____
a. where her umbrella was.
b. where her umbrella is.
c. where was her umbrella.
6. Meera said, ” Will you listen to me , Jack ?”
Meera asked Jack _______
a. would he listen to her
b. will he listen to her
c. if he would listen to her
7. Belinda said to elfs, ” Can you bring me the fairest rose ?”
Belinda asked elf if ______
a if they can bring her the fairest rose.
b. if they could bring her the fairest rose
c. could they bring her the fairest rose.
8. Shivam said to Shivani, ” May I use your pen ?”
Shivam asked Shivani ___________.
a. if he might use his pen
b. if I might use your pen
c. if he might use her pen.