There are two kinds of voices
2. Passive voice
Active – When an action is
performed by the subject.
Shyam broke a toy.
Ravi killed a snake.
-In sentence 1 the action ‘broken’ has been directly performed by Shyam -the subject (Doer)
-In sentence 2 the action the action ‘killed’ has been performed by Ravi– the subject (Doer)
Passive – Passive voice do not show
the actions done by the subject
but they express how the
subject is affected/suffered
by the object.
- The snake was killed by Anil.
- The rat was caught by the cat.
- Krishna was caught by her mother while stealing the butter.
- in sentence 1 TheSanke is the suffererof the action done by Anil .
-Snake – Sufferer: :Anil- Doer
-Krishna – Sufferer : : Mother- Doer
How to change an Active into Passive Voice
- Root points to keep in mind
- Replace the subject with the object & object
with the subject.
ACTIVE- Satyam broke my bat.
Bat – object
PASSIVE – My bat was broken by Satyam
Satyam – Object
- Use of an appropriate form the verb ( be )
Present ( is / am / are )
Past (was / were )
Future ( will be / shall be )
Perfect ( been )
Continuous ( being )
Modals ( be )
Infinitive ( to be )
- Always use the Past Participle of the verb( V3)
- My bat was broken by Satyam
- Her purse has been stolen.
- The lion was captured by the hunter.
PAST PARTICIPLE (V3)
4. Use appropriate preposition before the Subject
( i.e. by, with, in)
- An owl was seen by him last night.
- A letter was written with pen.
- I was astonished at your behaviour.
- (a) Remember for living being commonly (by) is used.
He by him
She by her
We by us
They by them
You by you
It by it
- (a.1) But in some cases – common or fixed Preposition rules
are applied —
READ THE EXAMPLE BELOW:-
- He was astonished at his son.
- I am pleased with my daughter today
- I was astonished at him.
- Gandhiji is known to everyone.
- I shall be obelized to you
- (b) But for Non living objects and abstract ideas
common rules of Prepositions and fixed
preposition rules are applied.
- The snake was hit with a stick.
- I am pleased with your performance.
- I am interested in drawing.
- I was delayed by the traffic .
5. The verb must be agreed with the subject.
- Active – This boy has broken these chairs.
- Passive- These chairs have been broken by this boy.
The boy is singular but the chairs are plural
- Active- I am eating different chocolated.
- Passive- Different chocolates are being eaten by me.
I is singular but Chocolates are plural
1. There are ___ types of voices in Grammar.
2. In an Active Voice an action is performed by the _____
3. In a Passive Voice the subject is actually a _____ of the actions performed by the _____.
4. In a Passive Voice always use the ______ of the verb.
7.In a Passive voice agreement of ____ with its subject must not be forgotten .
8. The object of the Passive Voice must always be followed by a ________.
8. In a Passive Voice the Subject is replaced with _____
9. In a Passive voice voice the object is always followed by a preposition (BY).
10. In some cases the ______ in the Passive Voice can be missed out.
11. Before placing a preposition before the object in a Passive Voice, rules of ______ must not be forgotten.
Share your Results:
WAIT FOR PART 2