WHY TO USE A PASSIVE VOICE
1.When we wish to focus the attention of the listener on a particular thing /person
- These documents were
signed by Mr. Sinha.
(Focus on documents)
In this sentence we can notice someone was more interested to know which documents were signed rather than who signed the documents.
Now read the following sentence-
- Mr Sinha signed these documents.
( Focus on the Person)
Here who signed the documents ,was more important for seomonw to know than what was signed. So the sentence had been framed in an Active Voice.
2. In order to put the new information at the end of the sentence –
( to surprise / to grab the attention of the listener/reader)
In normal cases , Passsive Voice is used to highlight the importance of the subject but in some cases just to give a surprise or jolt to the readers, we may use Passive Voice.
- The new manager of our comapny has been elected none but my daughter, Shruti.
- Most of the poems in your syllabus have been culled from American Poetry.
3. In order to put the new information at the end of the sentence to turn the style of writing from boresome to interesting on.
- Most of the poems in your
course have been taken from
- Two poems have been taken especially from Robert Frost’s Poetry,
one of the most famous poets of America.
4. When ‘who’ or ‘what’ causes the
action is –
- Unknown or unimportant
- My purse has been snatched.
(Agent- Thief- unknown)
2. This dam was built last year.
(Agent- labourers- unimportant)
- Obvious or ‘people in general known’
- The thief was arrested.
( Agent – Police)
2. The form was registered online.
(Agent- Staff- people in general)
- Natural phenomenon
- All the trees were found fallen down on the roads.
- My coffee has been cold.
- She was drowned in the river.
4. In factual writing when sentences are very long:-
1.Lal Bahadur Shastri was born on
2nd October in 1904.
2. The Taj mahal was built in
between 1631 to 1648.
2 thoughts on “WHY TO USE A PASSIVE VOICE”
That’s an excellent post and very informative.
Thank you so much Ma’am… Now the post is edited completely… .v.